Griffin, Spalding, Georgia
There are eight homes (six still privately occupied), a church, a library now used by the Griffin Spalding County School System, an apartment building, the Griffin Commercial Historic District, a school building built in 1870 still in use by the Griffin Spalding County School System, and the Old Medical College Historical Area, now used as apartments, on the National Register in Griffin and Spalding County.
Double Cabins, also known as the Mitchell-Walker-Hollberg House, is located at 3335 Jackson Road, near the intersection of the Jackson Road and Hwy. 155. The Double Cabin Plantation which was once 1000 acres, has been in the Hollberg Family since 1839. The house, built in 1842, was originally two cabins joined by a dogtrot. One cabin was a trading post, the other an inn and stagecoach stop. It served several stagecoach routes including some which ran from New York to Tuscaloosa, Alabama and New Orleans.
Hawkes Library was also called the Hawkes Free Children’s Library. Albert King Hawkes of Atlanta envisioned children’s libraries and movie theaters in Georgia. Hawkes had built some libraries but the Griffin building was the first to include a motion picture auditorium. Need Reid of Hentz, Reid, and Alder designed the Georgian Revival style building. Construction was begun in 1915 at the corner of S. 6th Street and Taylor Street. It served as the Headquarters of the Flint River Regional Library until 1974. Since then, administrative offices of the Griffin Spalding County School System have been housed there.
Hill Kurtz House Gilman Drake, an early architect and builder in Griffin, built this house in 1860 at 570 South Hill Street for Benjamin J. Milner. Milner helped muster a cavalry unit from Spalding County during the Civil War. H. P. Hill, a printer, bought the house in 1866. It’s considered to be an example of the Exotic Revival style and remains today privately owned and occupied.
Hunt House This house was built W. W. Chapman c. 1850. Captain W. J. Kincaid, a Confederate Army officer, moved to Griffin after the War where he became a merchant and then entered the textile business. He was the Founding President of Kincaid Manufacturing and a founder of Dundee Mills. Following the death of his first wife, Mary Alice Phelps, he bought the house at Poplar and Eighth Streets and added columns around the exterior and remodeled it in 1900. His daughter, Mr. R. O. Hunt, lived in the house until her death. The house was moved to 525 North Pine Hill in 1978 and is privately owned and occupied.
Mills House and Smokehouse Thomas R. Mills, Sr. was an important cotton shipper in Savannah during the mid 1800s. After the Civil War he built this home as his retirement and summer estate on 2500 acres. The home is architecturally significant as an example of the vernacular bracketed Italianate style. The Smokehouse is also on the National Register. Mills built a horse track and stables for thoroughbred horses, introduced the first Guernsey cows to Spalding County, and is thought to have had the first commercial scale pimento pepper farm in America. Now “Brookfield Plantation”, the privately occupied home is located at 1590 Carver Road.
Old Gaissert Homeplace This Plantation Plain home, on Highway 362 northeast of Williamson, was built in 1827. Known also as the Mary Brook Farm or the Williamson Place, its architect and builder are unknown. Its owners were honored with a 2002 Georgia Centennial Farm Award for family farmers preserving historic properties.
Old Medical College Historical Area The central area of the two-story Middle Georgia Medical College building dates to the early 1850s. it is the only one of four antebellum colleges still standing in Griffin. Originally a simplified Greek Revival house, it was enlarged c. 1860 as the school’s attendance grew. The school’s founder, Dr. E. F. Knott, lived next door. The buildings, at 232 and 233 East Broadway Street, are is use today as apartments.
Pritchard-Moore_Goodrich House Located at 441 North Hill Street, this house was built by Dr. William Prichard in 1850 on land purchased from attorney Robert Lanier, father of Georgia poet Sidney Lanier. Ownership passed through a series of owners, from William Wadsworth in 1872 until 1919 when it was purchased by Dr. Prichard’s grandson, Lucien P. Goodrich. The home, still in private ownership today, is Greek Revival architecture and includes Doric columns and some Italianate architecture features.
St. George’s Episcopal Church This parish was formally organized in 1859 by the Right Reverend Stephen Elliott, the first Bishop of Georgia. The Gothic Revival sanctuary’s cornerstone was laid in November 1869. The old rectory, now in use as administrative offices, was built in 1893. The Grantland Memorial Parish hall, designed by Hentz, Reid, and Adler, was built in 1921. Following the merging with St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church which had served the local African American community, a chapel utilizing the altar, pews, and baptismal font from St. Stephen’s was dedicated in 2003. St. George’s is located at 132 North 10th Street.
Sam Bailey Building (Sam Bailey Male Institute) Named for Sam Wesley Bailey, a banker and landowner who came to Griffin after the Civil War, this school was built in 1870 as the Griffin Male Institute, a private school, at what is now East Poplar Street and 4th Street. It became public in August 1873 and then again private in 1877. It has been Griffin High School and is now a part of the Griffin Spalding County School System’s administrative complex. Gilman Drake was the builder of this two-story brick building with Italianate details.
Spalding County Courthouse/Spalding County Jail The original Courthouse was constructed in 1859 for $12,000 at 232 East Broad Street by the railroad tracks. Columbus Hughes was the architect and David Demarest the builder. One of 15 surviving antebellum Georgia courthouses, it is a relatively rare example of the Italianate style of architecture. The steeple and clock tower were removed in 1910 and it was converted to a jail in 1914. Following that use for 70 years, it housed county offices. The building is now being restored with SPLOST funds.