The History of the Griffin-Spalding Historical Society
A nonprofit, tax-exempt organization, The Historical Society are the custodians of Spalding County History. As a cultural institution, we serve as historians who research and share our knowledge. We do not judge, nor involve ourselves in politics.
The biggest asset we have is the braintrust generated by continued participation of our Dedicated Board, effective Action Committee Chairs and Active Membership At Large.
The Griffin-Spalding Historical Society, was founded as the Griffin Historical and Preservation Society in 1969 by Seaton Grantland Barnes, John Henry “Jake” Cheatham, Jr., and John Hunter Goddard, Jr. They envisioned an organization which would acquaint local residents with the history of the City of Griffin and Spalding County and inspire the community of the need for and desirability of preserving local historical and interesting residences, places, and sites which were still in existence.
The first headquarters of the Griffin-Spalding Historical Society was located in the Lewis Mills House at 406 North Hill Street. The Greek Revival house, built c. 1852 by the Reverend Obediah Gibson, was bought by William Hammond and his Mother, Mrs. Emily Lewis in 1853. During the Civil War it served as a Confederate Hospital. John and Lavonia Mills owned the home from 1901 to 1936. When the Society bought it in 1970 for $25,000 it had been divided into four apartments and was in complete disrepair. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972 and has been the law offices of Galloway & Lyndell, LLP since 2002.
Move to Bailey-Tebault
In August 1987, the Society moved its headquarters to the Bailey-Tebault House which it now owns and manages on a day-to-day basis and book for special public events.
The Mary Smalley Garden at the rear of the home was established by The Garden Club of Griffin in her memory.