NOTED ARCHITECTS AND THEIR WORK IN GRIFFIN, GEORGIA
Charles Frazier and Daniel Herman Bodin established the firm of Frazier and Bodin in 1926; the firm flourished until Frazier’s death in 1936, focusing on residential commissions and working primarily in the Tudor, Georgia and Colonial Revival styles.
Charles Frazier was born in Griffin in 1883 and attended Georgia Tech before there was an architecture program. After two years of study, he apprenticed with two local firms and hung out his own shingle in 1908. Among his designs is Briarcliff, Coca Cola heir Asa G. Candler, Jr.’s Druid Hills (Atlanta) mansion.
Daniel Herman Bodin was born in Svana, Sweden in 1895. His family immigrated to Youngstown, Ohio when he was five years old. He graduated from Carnegie Institute of Technology in Pittsburgh in 1920. Hired as a draftsman by his professor, Henry Hornbostel, he worked on Callanwolde, the Tudor mansion built by Charles Howard Candler on Briarcliff Road in Atlanta. After the completion of Callanwolde in 1921, Bodin began working for Frazier. He became the firm’s principal designer and was made a partner in 1928. Among the firm’s most celebrated designs were golfer Bobby Jones’ home and the Nunnally Home on Blackland Road in Atlanta which is widely recognized as the background of many photographs made during the premier of “Gone with the Wind”.
The firm, Frazier and Bodin, flourished until Frazier’s death in 1939. Bodin continued as Daniel H. Bodin Architect until World War II brought a halt to much building. After the War, he formed a partnership with Willard Lamberson that continued until Bodin died in 1963.
The residential works of Frazier and Bodin in Griffin, Georgia and the (dates on the plans) include:
- 716 East College Street (1929)
- 680 East College Street (June 15, 1931)
- 666 (now 662) East College Street (September 1, 1931), including remodeling plans by Daniel H. Bodin
- 809 Maple Drive (March 21, 1932)
- 1011 East College Street (May 6, 1935)
- Alterations to Hunt Home (built c. 1840) on West College Street (June 4, 1935); this house was moved in 1978 to 525 North Pine Hill Road
- 140 Grove Lane (August 10, 1935)
- 815 Maple Drive (1936)
- 618 East College Street (July 27, 1936)
- 505 Brookwood Terrace (1938)
- North Second Street at Morris Street (1938)
- 323 Crescent Road (!939)
- 510 Crescent Road (September 1939)
- 618 Brook Circle (October 4, 1939)
- 1913 Jackson Road (December 26, 1939)
- 346 East College Street (May 13, 1940)
Commercial, Public, Religious, and Educational Buildings done by the firm include:
- Georgia Experiment Station (1927 and 1936)
- The Professional Building at Hill and Bank Streets (1928); razed
- 205 West College Street -Strickland/Hunt Hospital (July 5, 1929); razed 2016
- Municipal Golf Club (1935)
- Spalding County Courthouse; addition (date unknown)
- 1512 Williamson Road – (date unknown). The Elks Club bought the property in 1947. Following a 1954 fire, they built a new building which was dedicated in 1955. That building was designed by Gregson and Ellis; it is now the Heritage Funeral Home.
- Griffin High School – plans were never built
- 312 West Solomon Street (date unknown)
Other Works of Daniel H. Bodin:
- 1800 Maple Drive (May 12, 1941)
- 945 Maple Drive (September 12, 1941)
- Leslie Home on Crescent Road (date and house number unknown)
- First United Methodist Church; Hill Street; alterations and additions (1940 – 1941); razed after the Church moved to 1401 Maple Drive in 1961
- Griffin City Swimming Pool (1942)
- Georgia Experiment Station Horticulture Laboratory (1946)
- 656 South Hill Street (date unknown)
- Wynne residence on Newnan Road (date and house number unknown)
- Georgia Experiment Station Canning Plant and Residences (dates unknown)
Lewis Edmund “Buck” Crook, Jr. was born in Meridian, Mississippi in 1898. In 1915 he enrolled in Georgia Tech’s Department of Architecture and in 1919 graduated with high honors. He joined the firm of Hentz, Reid & Adler where he became a Neel Reid protégé. In 1923 he and another Georgia Tech alum/Hentz, Reid & Adler architect, Ernest “Ed” Daniel Ivey, formed Ivey & Crook, Architects. Crook was the designer and Ivey the supervisor of construction. Ivey is credited with founding Georgia Tech’s Department of Architecture.
The firm designed and built nearly 600 residences, churches, and schools between 1923 and 1967, including over one hundred in Atlanta, the Emory University President’s home, SAE fraternity houses at Emory and the University of Alabama, the LaGrange College Library, and a number of homes in Griffin, including:
- 451 East College Street (1926)
- 530 East College Street (1927);
- 435 East College Street (1928); alterations and additions to the back side of the house.
- Maple Drive (1929)
- 1056 Maple Drive; additions to the cottage (1928)
- 435 East College Street (1929)
- C.R. Hopper Home, (1932)
- 717 East College Street (1935)
- 821 Maple Drive (1935)
- 716 East College Street (1936)
Joseph Neel Reid, or Neel Reid, was a prominent architect in Atlanta in the early 20th century. Born in Jacksonville, Alabama in 1995, his family moved to Macon in 1890. His firm, Hentz & Reid was formed in 1909. In 1912 he designed a Griffin home at 435 East College Street.
The firm became Hentz, Reid & Adler in 1915 and was in business under that name until Reid died of a brain tumor in 1926.
- The firm designed the Hawkes Free Children’s Library (a Carnegie Library) at 210 S. Sixth Street in 1916. The building is now used by the Griffin Spalding School System and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Also listed on the National Register is St. George Episcopal Church at 132 North 10th Street. Hentz, Reid & Alder designed the Parish Hall in 1921.
- In 1923 the firm remodeled 435 East College Street.
Frank McCall, born in Gainesville, Florida in 1916, moved to Moultrie, Georgia as a young boy. An Auburn University graduate, he practiced in Moultrie until World War II. Following the War he moved to Macon and worked with Elliott Dunwody, Jr. until 1957. A prolific classicist architect, he did much work throughout Georgia, especially on Sea Island. His designs in Griffin include:
- 1076 Maple Drive
- A Tudor home at Brook Circle and Woodside Drive (reportedly this was his Auburn senior project)
James Means was born in Macon in 1904; his family moved to Atlanta in 1906. Means became a part time “office boy” at age 13 for Hentz, Reid & Adler. He enrolled in architectural classes at Georgia Tech but did not graduate. Means then apprenticed to Neel Reid. Following Reid’s death in 1926, Philip Shutze became the lead designer and Means remained with the firm until it closed in 1950. He worked with Edward Vason Jones in Albany for 4 years before returning to Atlanta where he designed more than 50 homes and buildings before his death in 1979.
Widely known for his restoration and reconstruction work and his incorporation of reclaimed materials, Means is celebrated as a classicist; many of his designs show the influence of such homes as the plantations on the James River in Virginia. Griffin homes which he designed are located at:
- 2251 Jackson Road
- 671 East College Street
Leila Ross Wilburn was the first registered female architect in Georgia. Born in Macon in 1885, her family moved to Decatur where she attended Agnes Scott from 1902 – 1904. She had private instruction in architectural drawing and in 1909 she opened her own firm. The firm specialized in pattern or plan book designs and many examples are found today around Atlanta. Wilburn died in 1927. Her papers are archived at Agnes Scott College in Decatur. Her Griffin work is at
- 672 Maple Drive (1923)